Come enjoy some "Coffee, Tea & History," shop for locally crafted
goods, and tour the Durham Apothecary & Museum that inspired The
History of The Durham Apothecary
The Durham Doctor's Office/Apothecary is a unique structure and considered the
"crown jewel" of the Durham property in Maxeys, Georgia. Architectural features
date the building to around 1840. The Victorian porch was added in 1877.
first room is striking and merits the name "apothecary" because of the large
green and yellow compounding desk, the curved, horseshoe-shaped walls and
graduated, curved, green-trimmed, floor-to-ceiling shelving.
The 8'x16' middle room was reported to have been the "doctor's office" where
people were seen and treatment was administered. In this room and the back room,
the color palate is old soldier blue and chestnut. It is now the service area
for coffee, tea and treats.
The 16x16' spacious back room was considered the "waiting room" for patients.
For a period of time, it was the bachelor's quarters for Dr. Samuel Davis Durham
and his brother, William Orlando Durham. At present it is the dining and meeting
space for visitors.
It is known that five Durham doctors practiced from this small, quaint building, while one additional Durham doctor was born and raised in the Durham home.
Freshly Ground News
6/9/17 - Call for celebration! The National Park Service has listed Durham Place including the Durham
Apothecary and Museum on the National Register of Historic Places! This
comes after three years of nominating and fine-tuning of the application.
Durham Place is an approximately 3.5-acre property located on the west side of Georgia Highway 77, across the road from the former Georgia Railroad rail bed in the small town of Maxeys. The property includes a circa-1844 one-story saddlebag house that was expanded in 1880 into a gabled-wing cottage, a circa-1844 single-pen slave cabin, a circa-1844 apothecary/doctor’s office, a circa-1870 smokehouse, and a modern shed, chicken coop and barn.
Durham Place was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a good and intact example of a late 19th-century gabled-wing Folk Victorian-style cottage, and in the area of health/medicine for its association with the Durham family of doctors. The Durham house retains its floorplan and exterior and interior character-defining features, including the wood siding, chimneys, windows, wood floors, wood ceilings, wood trim, and several mantels. All of the outbuildings also retain a high level of integrity. The apothecary is a rare Georgia resource that retains its heart pine clapboard siding, windows, shutters, and all interior features such as the curved apothecary room. It housed the doctor’s office and the front horseshoe-shaped dispensary room with original compounding desk, and served in this capacity from the time of its construction until 1923, when Dr. Samuel Davis Durham, the last of the Durham doctors to practice here, discontinued his practice. The apothecary was constructed at a time when academic medicine was in its infancy. Most of the six Durham doctors connected to the property were educated in Philadelphia and practiced “eclectic” medicine, which included both herbal and conventional medicines and procedures.
The National Register of Historic Places is
our country's official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects,
and districts worthy of preservation. The National Register provides formal
recognition of a property's architectural, historical, or archaeological
significance. It also identifies historic properties for planning purposes, and
insures that these properties will be considered in the planning of state or
federally assisted projects. National Register listing encourages preservation
of historic properties through public awareness, federal and state tax
incentives, and grants. Listing in the National Register does not place
obligations or restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of
Historic Preservation Division (HPD) of the Georgia Department of Natural
Resources serves as Georgia’s state historic preservation office. Its mission
is to promote the preservation and use of historic places for a better
Georgia. HPD’s programs include
archaeology protection and education, environmental review, grants, historic
resource surveys, tax incentives, the National Register of Historic Places,
community planning and technical assistance.
mission of the Department of Natural Resources is to sustain, enhance, protect
and conserve Georgia’s natural, historic and cultural resources for present and
future generations, while recognizing the importance of promoting the
development of commerce and industry that utilize sound environmental
Hours of Service:
Thursday - Saturday
8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
261 North Main Street
Saturday, May 5, 12:30 - 2 p.m. - Denise Weimer signing her new release, Backcountry Brides! Event includes a reading, light refreshments, and a drawing for an antique English tea pot for everyone who purchases a signed copy of the novel.